Re: Prophecy.

From: Simon Hibbs (simonh@msi-uk.com)
Date: Tue 02 Jun 1998 - 16:19:29 EEST

Steve Rennell asks, not unreasonably :

>What is the status of Prophecy? and as a related question, how widely
is the
>doctrine that Gods can't know the future spread?

I don't think there is an official direct answer to this.

There is a level of magical mystical experience that transcends the nuts
and bolts of game mechanics as presented in the rules. Divination is
approaching that, the rules can only give a rough guideline of how to
run either Divinations or Divine Interventions. Illumination is even
more esoteric a subject and rules such as 'Illuminates cannot be
detected by Storm Bull's sense chaos ability' and 'Illuminates are
immune to cult spirits of reprisal' are crude ways to represent it in
the game.

Prophecy is similarly obscure and beyond mortal understanding. The
nearest I can come to is that Prophecy is a profound insight into the
nature of the world and the forces at work within it. I don't think
prophecy comes from the gods as such. Gods, Giants and Dragons have
prophesied from time to time so presumably the inspiration is something
that comes from within, or is inspired by forces even greater than even
them.

Not all prophecies come to pass, not even true prophecies.

Simon Hibbs