Re: Hero Wars?

From: Simon Hibbs (simonh@msi-uk.com)
Date: Tue 02 Jun 1998 - 16:45:47 EEST

Frank Rafaelsen

>Would it be possible to let us unelightened people know what the new
game
>is looking like? There has been a unnerving silence on the digest this
>last week and I fear, no dread, the possibility that a lid has been put
on
>info about the new game. The horror!

Relax, there's no veil of silence. I think the recent dearth of postings
is down to the fact that there have been two conventions on in
consecutive weekends. I'm not a playtester and I have only had a brief
glance at the written rules, but it was discussed at the german con over
the weekend.

It's in an early stage of development, and though it's begining to take
shape it has apparently already metamorphosed considerably. Any
description of the game is simply a snapshot of what it was like when
the playtester recieved a copy of the rules, so it's always a week or
more out of date.

The very real danger in disclosing details is that people will get
preconcieved notions of whether they like or dislike the game before
it's been finished, regardless of what the final game is actualy like.
We had that at Germany - poeple saying things like "I don't like this
game because it doesn't have X". Well, it's far from complete yet, and
getting X, Y and Z put into the game, if they're important, is what
playtesting is all about.

I think that widespread dissemination of information about the game,
such as on this digest, would be counterproductive. I think it should
only be disclosed in actual playtests or in the context of the game's
ongoing development.

If you want more information, the best ways are to either go to a
convention and play in a playtest session, or write in and beg to be
made an official playtester. I plan on doing both.

Simon Hibbs