Re: Humakti and Land

From: David Dunham (dunham@pensee.com)
Date: Sun 01 Aug 1999 - 09:02:48 EEST

Peter Metcalfe wrote

> Surely a Humakti would simply be content with a life as a Huscarl
> in the service of his chief or king? What's the point of giving them
> land if they are going to be utterly useless at working it?

Prestige. The Humakti would get some cottars or carls to work his
lands, and would thus have clients who would support him.

Of course, as you point out, the Humakti is probably a weaponthane in
service of a chief or king, and thus this is a sneaky way of the
chief of king raising his own prestige.

Keith Nellist wrote

> My 2 year old has mastered one of Umath' s rules:
>
> No one can make him do anything.

And I'll bet he's boiled this rule down to its primal, runic essence:

"No!"

David Dunham <mailto:dunham@pensee.com>