Mostali and diseases

From: Peter Metcalfe (metcalph@bigfoot.com)
Date: Tue 10 Aug 1999 - 11:11:29 EEST

Richard Crawley:

>Well, my question about how drwafs fare when encountering disease went
>down like a lead submersible.

The question is addressed in Lords of Terror where it's stated that
Mostali are immune to diseases. Personally I would ignore it if you

require that Mostali be subject to diseases as they do have to reproduce
by natural methods. Making mostali subject to blindness, phobias,
dementias, neuroses, pychoses, hirsute growths on their palms and
other pathologies that can be transmitted by merely talking to a
victim. Gold Dwarves would be adept at curing these conditions
by rather drastic methods (lobotomies for example).

> I wonder if the transmission of diseases between Gloranthan species
>is influenced by the runes they are tied to? Thus a plant-rune related
>elf may not be able to transmit bark spot to a man-rune-tied human but
>could infect the human farmer's wheat (or rice or hazia) with a similar
>disease.

I wouldn't introduce black-and-white rules myself as there are
diseases that can slip the species barrier in glorantha (Plague
is specifically mentioned in Lords of Terror). I imagine the
Bulges mentioned in Elder Secrets is an example of a plant
disease that has managed to infect humans.

- --Peter Metcalfe