Pol Joni

From: Peter Metcalfe (metcalph@bigfoot.com)
Date: Tue 24 Aug 1999 - 06:16:29 EEST

Kevin Rose:

>>>Do most of the Pol Joni ride horses, or are there a lot of
>>>followers on foot or in wagons?

>>Wagons require wood which there is damned little of in Prax.

>There also isn't a lot of wood in Mongolia , yet the Mongols traveled in
>carts.

There's _less_ wood in Prax than there is Mongolia.

>And while there may be a shortage of wood in Prax, they are
>perfectly able to go into the surrounding areas where wood isn't so
>rare.

But those woods are occupied by other people.

>I guess it depends on how you want to play the Pol Joni. As Pentan
>types, they would want to use carts.

I think it's certain that the Pol Joni are Orlanthi types, not
Pentans. And I don't think the Grazers use carts either.

>But a carts enable you to
>carry lots more stuff, including stuff needed for more advanced technology
>than stone tools. For example, anvils seem like something that might be
>difficult to put on a pack horse.

Why would I want to pack an anvil in Prax when there's no metal
around? The other Praxians use bone weapons made from their herd
beasts.

>But Pol Joni carts are not totally implausable.

If the Pol Joni do have carts, I think they would be uncommon
ceremonial objects (like the two-wheeled ox drawn cart that
all orlanthi High Priests may have, according to Cults of Prax)
and not oversized backpacks behind which one can hide from the
injuns.

- --Peter Metcalfe