Re: Virile Stormbulls

From: Neil Smith (neil.smith@rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk)
Date: Wed 25 Aug 1999 - 15:19:02 EEST

Nick Hollingsworth <NickH@compans.com> wrote:

> As a personification of the male head of the herd surely storm
> bull must represent the fertility of the herd to some extent,
> even though its principally a Uralda/Eritha role. After all it takes
> two to tango! But I don't recall having seen such an aspect
> described. But surely storm bull plays some essential role in the
> guaranteed fertility of the herds - and thus storm bull priests
> in the fertility rituals.

My own researches into Praxian metaphysics are bringing to light some
information that may have a bearing on this. It appears that the
most important feature of Storm Bull is his correspondence with
Storm (physical activity, change, dynamism) rather than the Bull.
The connection is simply that bulls (and other bachelors) are more
likely to exhibit the characteristics of Storm.

This would suggest that Storm Khans would be involved in fertility
rituals when beasts are needed that are stronger and more powerful
than normal. This is also likely to be more prevalent among the
Impala Tribe, and less so among the High Llamas.

Neil.