Pol Joni and Carts

From: Peter Metcalfe (metcalph@bigfoot.com)
Date: Thu 26 Aug 1999 - 10:37:18 EEST

MOB:

KR>>>And while there may be a shortage of wood in Prax, they are
>>>perfectly able to go into the surrounding areas where wood isn't so
>>>rare.

Me>>But those woods are occupied by other people.

>Which might lead to expeditions, raiding, trading, treaties, and all
>sorts of social intercourse between the cultures.

The nearest woods cover the Division Hills in the shadow of the
Indigo Mountains and are infested by trolls (the Sazdorf came
from there) and Telmori.

There is a place on the other side of the woods called Torkan's
Last Fort, but that is a defensive fort against whatever lies
in those woods AFAIK.

>Surely Peter, history is all about people from one place
>needing/coveting/desiring stuff from another place, and then using fair
>means or foul to get it.

Just because they can get it from another place does not mean
they will have large amounts of it. Consider the avaliability
of metal. The Praxians are found with metal weapons (usually
stolen) but they do not have sufficient amounts to smith their
own weapons.

What I'm trying to get across is that wood falls in the same
category - the Pol Joni are able to get their hands on wood
for their tools, weapons and shields but I do not believe that
they have enough wood to furnish every family with a cart.

Nick Brooke:

>>> While there may be a shortage of wood in Prax, [the Pol Joni] are
>>> perfectly able to go into the surrounding areas where wood isn't so
>>> rare.

>> But those woods are occupied by other people.

>Who are for the most part the Sartarite *allies* of the Pol Joni, and
>well able to provide them with wood.

For a price. While the Prince of Sartar may well see the value
of a Pol Joni alliance, I doubt that the Telmori, the Torkani
and the Aranwyth would consider helping those "Praxian Cattle
Thieves" any more than is necessary.

- --Peter Metcalfe