Orlanthing/Orlanthi burial customs

From: Mikael Raaterova (ginijji@telia.com)
Date: Wed 15 Sep 1999 - 20:15:37 EEST

Rob Marcus asked:
>Has anyone out there looked into Orlanthi burial customs in any depth at
>all?

Somewhat. You can find my detailed idea of a Far Point burial rite in
Questlines I.

>I recall reading something a while back about Ty Kora Tek priestess all
>being mad old women, is this correct? Beinga widow who lives in a cave can't
>do much for your sanity,I suppose.

I wouldn't say 'all', though. Some of them, definitely. Which is where the
misapprehension stems from. Many of the TKT priestesses are simply Earth
Mothers become Elders. IMFar Point, at least.

>IMG I have assumed that Orlanthi are buried "in the sky" a la American
>Indians according to the westerns. I also understand that they may be
>cremated - perhaps a combination of the two on a raised platform? On the
>roof of the air temple?

I thought that appropriate as well, and described it as such in Questlines.
OTOH, in other places worshippers of Orlanth are cremated on burial pyres
to be lifted up into the Winds.

>Also, are their any earth cults that men may join without losing face?

Depends on what you mean by earth cult, of course, but Barntar is IMO the
'standard' earth/storm combo. Urnde the Labourer is another one, in the
Holy Country.

- -
Mikael Raaterova [.sig omitted on legal advice]