Comments: Digest V7 #80 & 81

From: Bob Stancliff (stanclif@ufl.edu)
Date: Thu 16 Sep 1999 - 17:13:41 EEST

> Subject: Pavis Magic
> It appeals to me that Potonis is a series of individuals, in that the
> name of each of the Seven Masks is the name of the first wearer and also
> became an honorific title.
        Maybe. The wearer of Potonis might be called Potonis.

> I also am totally captivated with Keith's awesome idea that the Twin
> Hills were once a single long ridge called Magicians Hill.
        I cannot begin to fathom the need for this <deleted>...

> Since this was the item which focussed the magic of the Pavis Magicians
> its destruction may have been the last straw that broke the Pavis
> defense capability utterly.
        The Pavis book discusses the wizard's towers as defensive points. The
write-up in Strangers in Prax is excellent and uses the sorcery rules in a
believable fashion.
        The beginning of the end was when the Trolls broke the wall, and the
forts were built while the trolls went around crushing the sorcerers or
driving them away.

> Thus he was killed and Opili takes command saying "Now we have to
> adopt a new strategy because the <artifact> is gone. Let's build forts!"
        For "<artifact> is gone" substitute "the walls are broken and the gates
are gone".

> Also, was there a dragon involved (literally smashing the hill in two)
> and if so, why didn't it eat everyone in Pavis as an after-task snack?
        Pavis is only four miles across. Even a small dragon would have damaged
the walls and destroyed most of the inhabitants. Besides it would have
been important enough to get into the histories.
- ------------------------------

>> Waha - wounded by Pavis and Varajiia. Probably an incarnated Kahn.
> Makes no difference whether he's incarnated or not. He's still
> Waha. IMO Varajia is probably trying to make him sign the Great
> Compromise so that he can't cause trouble in the future.
        I have always interpreted the histories of Waha's early victories to be
literal. He would be a Hero/Demigod like Ralzakark who avoids divinity
because he wants to directly influence his followers and the world.
        In my opinion, he apotheosizes 'soon' after his healing by Pavis. This
is, of course, conjecture.
- ------------------------------

> Has anyone out there looked into Orlanthi burial customs in any
> depth at all?
        As I recall, the Yelmalions burn on a smokeless fire to return the body
to the gods of Fire/Sky, while the Orlanthi commonly burn on a smoky fire
to return the body to the Winds. There are mentions of special people
being 'buried' on platforms, but this is mainly a Grazer rite. Apparently
Praxians burn too. In an Ernaldan dominated area, burial would be far
more likely for everyone and certainly true for members.

> I recall reading something a while back about Ty Kora Tek priestess all
> being mad old women, is this correct? Being a widow who lives in a cave
can't
> do much for your sanity, I suppose.
        There is a cult for all periods of a woman's life. Young girls and
virgins join Voria. Adult women join Ernalda, Esrola, or a Grain goddess,
but Ernaldan priestesses have to be mothers first. Women too old for
children join Ty Kora Tek or Asrelia (note: some names change by region).
These represent the tri-partite goddess: maiden, mother, crone... very
Gaelic.

        There are, of course side cults. Babeester Gor are the 'police' and
avengers of the Earth cults (they may marry). Maran Gor are the

destroyers (they never marry, males, including sons, are castrated or
possibly sacrificed). Vingan's are also avengers and warriors with far
fewer obligations than Bab.Gor's (they are also more likely to marry).

> *whereas Babeester Gor doesn't like male members at all
        This is far more true of Yelorna and Maran Gor, and is not a published
opinion of Bab.Gor!
Bob Stancliff
(stanclif@ufl.edu)