Re: Barntar as a deity for a PC

From: Alex Ferguson (abf@cs.ucc.ie)
Date: Mon 20 Sep 1999 - 20:25:59 EEST

Pam Carlson:
> Barntar is it, I think. Most Orlanthi men are farmer/carls, and carls
> worship both Orlanth and his son, Barntar. They revere Ernalda, but only
> women know her secrets. Men know the secrets of Barntar - ploughing, taming
> cattle, and pleasing their wives. Most Orlanthi would worship Barntar -
> except possibly Humakti or weaponsthanes. Some might be particualry keen on
> Barntar.

The above I can only agree with, though it does pose what's a least a
subtle definitional problem (though probably no _actual_ problem at all).
Is such a person an initiate/devotee of 'Barntar', of 'Orlanth the
Farmer'? And, whether the distinction between the two is of any substance
at all, a matter of degree, or some sort of categorical difference.

Cheers,
Alex.