Wet, Wet, Wet Prax

From: Martin Dick (Martin.Dick@infotech.monash.edu.au)
Date: Wed 01 Mar 2000 - 02:11:44 EET

> Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 09:04:36 -0800
> From: David Dunham <dunham@pensee.com>
> Subject: Re: Praxians
>
> Gian Gero thinks there's lots of rain in Prax, and writes:

> > I read that Praxians hate townspeople and call them "Smelly"; that could be
> > because Praxians (who love rain and pools water) like to wash themselves! (a
> > thing that most RW desert nomads consider an extreme luxury)
>
> I don't have time this morning to double-check the rainfall listed in
> River of Cradles, but I don't think it's much. That too is reduced

> due to Genert's death (there's a feedback cycle between the land and
> the weather even on Earth). It's probably true that even irrigation
> won't work quite as well as expected due to the lack of the land god,
> but there simply isn't enough water, at least outside Prax proper in
> the Wastes.

Prax may seem like a dry wasteland for those people from Europe or
certain
parts of the USA :-), but to someone brought up in the Wimmera (the
western part
of the state of Victoria in Australia, according to the rainfall charts
in the
River of Cradles, it's wet, wet, wet. From memory, in River of Cradles,
Prax
gets roughly 34" of rain per year, as compared to Horsham's 17" per year
or so.
Wheat requires an annual rainfall of 10" to be practicable. The Wimmera
happens
to be one of the largest grain growing areas in Australia, producing
millions
of tonnes of wheat each year. Now, that includes modern technology and
strains
of wheat, but the Wimmera has been a major wheat growing area since the
1880's,
when things wheren't quite so advanced.

IMO, the physical environment of Prax is not the reason for its lack of
fertility,
it is "magically" infertile. In any case, I think this explanation is
more fun
and with more potential than it just being an arid desert, a campaign
based around
resurrecting Genert sounds like a lot of fun to me. Didn't someone
mention that
they were doing this? Would they like to tell us how it is going?

Martin (who thinks deserts and arid areas are much nicer places than all
those
soggy, dank places in the northern hemisphere)