Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #440

From: aelarsen@facstaff.wisc.edu
Date: Fri 03 Mar 2000 - 16:23:03 EET

>From: "Loren Miller" <loren@ioxy.com>
>Subject: Ulerian Immortality
>
>Something hit me about the Uleria immortality quest.
>
>Why must she have a heroquest for immortality? She was born as one of the
>old gods, the infinite source for fertility. For Uleria, immortality was
>achieved by being born immortal. If Uleria has a heroquest for immortality,
>wouldn't it involve giving birth to an immortal child?

        She's not questing for immortality. She's question to bring
someone back to life. Rather than resurrecting the person, she
reincarnates him. This imitates the death of Flamal's body and his return
in the spring in the new body of young plants.

>Also, wasn't she chewed up and her material form destroyed by the Boggles?

        I thought she subdued the Boggles by offering them her body, which
they couldn't resist. I don't remember anything about them destroying her.

>Wouldn't such a goddess instead have a heroquest so that the hero is
>sacrificed to a group to bring some aspect of fertility/love/eros to that
>group or another?

        That's another potential quest I suppose.

Andrew E. Larsen