hw q

From: Kmnellist@aol.com
Date: Mon 13 Mar 2000 - 20:51:52 EET

In a message dated 3/12/00 8:00:03PM, you write:

<< This is a bit off topic but I couldn't think of a better place to
 ask it. >>

There is a new list at hw-rules@egroups.com for rules discussion.

<< * Do Action Points (AP) return to their starting value every episode (ie
 adventure), or every scene (ie combat)?>>

After every contest, which could be more than once per 'scene' depending on
how you define 'scene'.

 <<* Although it is never stated I have worked out (?) that in a contest each
 side bids a number of APs. This bidding of APs is done every "round" of a
 contest. Is this correct?>>

Only the 'Actor' bids, the 'opponent' does not get to decide on the size of
the bid. The role of actor and opponent swap so both characters get a chance
to decide the size of the bid.

<< * If I have 24 APs to start with, bid 7, but am not forced to transfer or
 forfeit any are my APs next round :
    a) 24
    b) 17 (24 - 7)
 or to put another way are APs I bid lost by virtue to the fact that I have
 bid them?>>

24, although more often than not there will have been some sort of transfer.

<< * In the Extended Contest results chart the outcome results are listed as
 1x, 2x, etc. Does this mean that if the table states that "Loser
 Transfers 2x" mean that the loser of the combat transfers 2 times the APs
 they bid, or 2 times the APs that their opponent bid?>>

Only the Actor bids, so there is only one bid.

<< * Parting shots. I can make one if I reduce an opponent to under 0 APs.
 So what is a parting shot?>>

If you reduce an opponent to zero AP you have won the contest but haven't
really achieved anything other than that. To [kill/inflict lasting
humiliation/whatever] the opponent you really need to do a parting shot to
get them to negative AP, the danger is that you might screw up and enable the
opponent to recover and re-enter the contest.

 <<* In combat, each side is trying to reduce the other to 0 APs. Does this
 mean that combat results (Dazed, Hurt, Injured, Dying) are only worked out
 once one side is below 0 APs and this is determined by looking at the
 Consequences Chart? (Ignoring the fact that someone can injure

 themselves by trading APs lost for wounds).>>

Yes.

 Keith N