Re: Argrath; Pol Joni; dragonewts

From: David Dunham (dunham@pensee.com)
Date: Wed 22 Mar 2000 - 00:19:22 EET

Christoph Kohring wrote

>In my own private Glorantha, "arkat" became the word for "liberator" in the
>theyalean language of the west orlanthi (ralians), wheras in Maniria &
>Peloria it transformed itself into "argrath". So that this wily Garrath
>Swordsharp guy very astutely saw the word-play he could do with his name &
>exploited it to the max !

In my Glorantha, the Ralian Orlanthi (at least the Delelans) hate
Arkat -- the name does not mean liberator there.

I always assumed Garrath was the pseudonym of Argrath, rather than the reverse.

BTW, in some very early drafts I've seen, the name of the conqueror is Argat.

Andreas Mueller wrote

>their horse magic is stronger than Yelmalios (Or, shame on me, are the
>Pol Jonis
>Yelmalions? They are Yelmist, aren't they?).

No, they are Orlanthi. (And in King of Dragon Pass, they have roots
in your clan.)

Trotsky wrote:

> Sandy Petersen has stated that the Ralian dragonewts never eat at all,
>and that their bodies constantly wear out due to starvation as a result.
>Presumably, though, this means they must be able to survive more than a week
>or so without food, unless they're constantly regenerating new bodies, and
>spend most of their time alive too ill to act...

Do you happen to remember where he said/wrote this? I'd love to see
the full context (is there an earthly analog for a species that never
eats? I vaguely recall there is).

David Dunham <mailto:dunham@pensee.com>