Re: Grazelanders and Vendref

From: Joerg Baumgartner (joe@toppoint.de)
Date: Fri 24 Mar 2000 - 20:30:49 EET

Richard Develyn:

>> what is the southern boundary of the Grazelands. I've
>> seen conflicting evidence in Trollpak and the Holy Country Map
>> as to whether it goes down as far as the Building Wall (the
>> other side of Runnel River).

>> And how close does it get to the Shadow Plateau?

David Dunham

> If I recall correctly, it's pretty much down to the Building Wall.
> It's hard to get past that...

I guess that is correct for Grazer hunters, warriors and occasionally
herders as well. On the other hand, I suppose the Vendref are restricted
to the territory marked as yellow on the Dragon Pass boardgame map,
which is considerably further north.

The reason is that it would be too easy even for the Esrolian border
people to raid the Vendref intruding into their territory to bare bones,
as they present sitting targets. For trolls as well. Roving nomads (or
semi-sedentary horse warlords pretending at being nomads) are harder to
hit, and have an easier time to hit. For what it's worth, I think that
the Building Wall line hasn't always been the northern border of the
Esrolian northern marches.

The territory north of it would have suffered its share of raids, but as
many would have gone further south. With the wall set up, all of a
sudden most raids were forced to stop north of it, and those farmers not
carried off to replenish Vendref stock would have packed up and moved
south of the wall. On the other hand, the Grazers would not have had the
temerity to keep Vendref within the sight (or easy raiding distance) of
the wall. Much of the land has become as abandoned as the Bush Range
between Tarsh and the Dragon River.