Stygians

From: Peter Metcalfe (metcalph@bigfoot.com)
Date: Wed 29 Mar 2000 - 12:22:10 EEST

Terra Incognita:

>Stygian Heresy

>Tales of The reaching Moon #13 categorize this word as Joint worship between
>monotheism and polytheism using both sorcery & theistic magic society, but
>later this word became only application to Arkati Stygian Imperial
>Influence.

I would say that the word primarily refers to the Safelstran
Malkioni but that unrelated people with similar practices can
be smeared as Stygians.

>so it excludes middle Age Talorism, Syanoran, Carmanian, and
>western Lunars.

Talorism AFAIK (I won't invoke the expertly imprimateur here)
was not a stygian religion in that its worshippers venerated
Malkion and other deities. IMO the Loskalmi were pious
monotheists who quite happily had pagan peasants and auxillaries
serving them.

The Syanorans are similar, being a malkioni nobility lording
it over pagan peasants. The main difference between the
Syanorans and Talor's Loskalm is that many of the malkioni
nobility aren't terribly pious or secret pagans.

The Arrolians and the Carmanians can be called Stygians but
most Malkioni upon hearing the word will assume that you
mean a Safelstran.

- --Peter Metcalfe