'newts and Newtlings.

From: Peter Metcalfe (metcalph@bigfoot.com)
Date: Thu 30 Mar 2000 - 13:09:55 EEST

Gian Gero:

>What's the relationship (all over Glorantha) between Dragonewts and
>Newtlings? From some books I inferred they are related or at least used to
>work together as combined races. Also the superior stages of newtling
>evolution could possibly be related (as dinosaurs and magisaurs are) with
>proto-dragonewt beings...

Dragonewts do keep newtlings as slaves (Elder Secrets) and Newtlings
are thought to be related to dragonewts (RQ2).

My personal belief is that newtlings are descendants of dragons
that arose through a process of draconic devolution. This
process also created the Slarges, the Lascerdans, Phoenixes
etc. etc.

Whether newts are degenerate dragonewts (which the dragonewts
probably claim) or dragonewts are 'newts that rediscovered
draconism (as the Kralori might claim) is really a chicken-and-
egg debate. The truth might be different for different
species of 'newts.

- --Peter Metcalfe

>Is the population of 'newts cities augmented by blocks inhabited by
>newtlings??

No.