Rape and Chaos

From: Michael Cule (mikec@room3b.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu 30 Mar 2000 - 21:49:26 EEST

>Last but not least one question from me: Is rape in Glorantha considered
>chaotic or is it "just evil"? I think the first applies and had serious
>problems with an adventure in TotRM (first or second Prax Special) whose
>story relied upon Praxian Nomads raping an Orlanthi woman. While this is
>unfortunately part of real world warfare, I think this shouldn't be true
>in Glorantha.

If we believe what we read in STRANGERS IN PRAX (and it makes sense to
me) then Rape while not Chaotic in itself opens the door to Chaos. The
story of the village of Black Rock whose headman raped and murdered a
young girl and then concealed the body is one of the most terrible (and
I mean that as a compliment: full of terror) stories that I've ever read
in Glorantha.

It could be argued that the Orlanthis (and the Yelmies since they have
such an emphasis on personal purity) have a special vulnerablility to
Chaos in this way but personally I'd say that rape is dangerous anywhere
for anyone in Glorantha.
- --
Michael Cule