Henotheism

From: Peter Metcalfe (metcalph@bigfoot.com)
Date: Fri 31 Mar 2000 - 12:53:19 EEST

David Dunham:

>I believe [henotheism] was also performed by many of the God
>Learners (it was certainly done in early Jrustela, before the Return
>to Rightness crusade).

I would draw a distinction between what one personally believes
and what one is willing to tolerate in others (or even encourages
others to believe as did the Varanswal God Learners). I wouldn't
call Theodosius the Great a henotheist merely because he was a devout
christian yet ruled over many pagans and large parts of the God
Learner Empire was similar to this IMO.

Me>>[...] only one creed describes itself as Henotheist to which I get
>>the impression they've adopted a derogatory word as a badge of
>>pride.

>I don't think henotheist is a derogatory term, however -- it's an
>obscure technical term. If anything, it's an attempt to fend off
>charges of heresy by announcing that they still hold the Invisible
>God primary.

Good point.

- --Peter Metcalfe