Gloranthan Pregnancy

From: John Hughes (nysalor@primus.com.au)
Date: Sat 15 Apr 2000 - 08:30:10 EEST

Heys Folks,

So Gian, how was Damascus? :)

GLORANTHAN PREGNANCY

Roger McCarthy:
> (BTW how long do pregnancies last in Glorantha - 4 seasons would be about
> right assuming that Gloranthan days are about 20% longer than earth days
so
> the birth would be somewhere between Fire season 1604 and Fire/1605).

As Alex noted, there has been inconsistency from Greg on this, and
reflecting as it does on the basic forms of Gloranthan time and space, its
about time it got finally sorted.

I asked Greg about it directly a few weeks ago, and his response then was

>9/12 OF A [Gloranthan] YEAR.

That is, in direct ratio to human pregnancy (in months) against the terran
year. I've refined that to 294/365 when calculating human and domestic
animal pregnancies. [Ratio of Gloranthan days in a year to earthly days in a
year]. Using that equation, Gloranthan human pregnancy is 280*294/365 = 225,
which I'd shorten to 224 days or 4 seasons, giving the same day and week to
both conception and birth, (barring Sacred Time complications ).

Estrus cycles, however, I would keep as the equivalent number of days as on
Earth.

Hopefully some sort of unequivocal answer will feature in the Orlanthi life
section of Thunder Rebels, though as yet I make no promises or predictions.

On earth, animal fertility cycles have evolved around the cycles of the
seasons, with mating, pregnancy and birth occurring at the most
environmentally opportune times. Because of this, I think there is a lot of
work still to be done in understanding Gloranthan animal life-cycles, rather
than relying too heavily on direct mathematical correspondences. Is this
John making yet *another* plea to take everyday animal life and non-terran
seasonal progressions more seriously? I'm afraid it is. <g>.

Cheers

John
nysalor@primus.com.au John Hughes
johnp.hughes@dva.gov.au

There was a muddy centre before we breathed.
There was a myth before the myth began,
Venerable and articulate and complete.
>From this the poem springs: that we live in a place
that is not our own, and much more, not ourselves.
And hard it is in spite of blazoned days.

 - Wallace Stevens.