Re: scimitars, problem solved?

From: Donald R. Oddy (donald@grove.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue 18 Apr 2000 - 22:40:43 EEST

In message <200004141635.JAA18163@chaosium.com> owner-glorantha-digest@chaosium.com (The Glorantha Digest) writes:

>From: Mikko Rintasaari <rintasaa@mail.student.oulu.fi>
>>
>> The Imperial scimitar if probably a light weapon for most functions, being of
>> Pentan origin. However, the heavy infantry Tarnils forces would use a heavy
>> scimitar in battle.
>>
>> Martin Laurie
>
>Ah, indeed. In a man to man battle I still think penetration power isn't
>that important. As I said, no armor covers everything. So I think the
>regular sidearm scimitar of a Yanafali officer or a pelorian duelist would
>be a light and slender bladed scimitar.
> The The Steel Scimitars (was that the name of the all Yanafali
>troop?) on the other hand rely on massed ranks of men and heavy armor, no
>doubt their scimitars are heavy cleavers doing horrible damage.
>
>Problem solved?

I rather envisaged the Steel Scimitars having a choice of two weapons -
the standard hoplite spear and a light scimitar. Trained properly in
both they could be used as either a close order phalanx or discard
their spears and fight in a looser formation against lighter armoured
troops. No doubt they are looked down upon by the traditional hoplites
but illustrating the flexibility of the Lunar way. Their name coming
from actually fighting with the scimitar as opposed to carrying one
as a weapon of last resort.

- --
Donald
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/