Re: The Glorantha Digest V7 #820

From: Simon Bray (simonbray@cwcom.net)
Date: Fri 25 Aug 2000 - 23:50:07 EEST

Hi All,

  Jane asked why for is sacred to the earth cults. Other than it being the
number of sides on a square I think the answer has somthing to do with the
divide between old and new gods. Asrelia/Ty Kora Tek and Ernald/ Maran Gor
are the original four sides before the events of the Darkness.
Voria/Barbeestor Gor come later in the order of things. Perhaps the Old
Earth alliance of Esrolia do not recognise the younger goddesses. Sometimes
however with the number of Household deities that are supposed to be
daughters to the goddesses I wionder why the dodecahedron is not sacred to
them (ha ha).

  Another publisehd earth temple is Dan Barker's depiction of a sacred cube
of fields around some standing stones in Rough Guide to Bold Home. There is
also Dorasta's Cleft in Dorastor. There is also Biturian Varoshi's account
of descent into the Paps, which is a huge Earth temple complex and isn't the
Pairing Stone sacred to Earth Cultists. I also envision massive underground
caverns that never see the light of day, possibly temples to Ty Kora Tek or
Asrelia - you know somthing like the cavern temple in Ursula le Guin's
Earthsea books.

Cheers Simon.