[hw-rules] Re: Starting a new contest

From: Hibbs, Philip <philip.hibbs_at_BDWB4NIs9ARvOOsdA9D-Kaoji9c2h6G50onIivmTSLyk1Ar0kdOHs62VeNC2MBEj4U>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 09:07:21 +0100

>"Oscar, old son roll away. Did you get a critical ...uhhh, I'm
>sorry a Big Success? No? The Troll didn't fumbl.... Sorry again
>Big Fail his resistance. So the whole thing has no effect and
>he swings his club at your head."

So at beginning level, a one in 400 chance. With w1 advantage to Oscar, a 1 in 40 chance, and with w2 advantage, 1 in 4. That seems a little harsh, but not unreasonable. A more scalable and adaptable way to express this would be to assign a numerical penalty to Oscar (-50 would give approx. 50% chance on this scale), based on how inappropriate the ability is to disuading angry Great Trolls from attacking. That would allow, say, Ogres to give -10, Broo -30, Walktapi -100, etc.

Philip Hibbs http://www.snark.freeserve.co.uk/ Opinions expressed may not even be my own, let alone those of any organisations, nations, species, or schools of thought to which I may be affiliated.             Received on Thu 30 Mar 2000 - 00:07:14 EEST