Re: [HeroQuest-rules] Re: Healing with common magic

From: Dave Camoirano <DaveCamo_at_fAV_wpxoRYaSY8VrD11zZ4KxcZ_atl22P5iCRB9aq4VjRPmEAugVOL4FG09DkqsJaSPSqu>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 23:34:56 -0400

Hi!

On Apr 8, 2004, at 5:22 PM, Andrew Solovay wrote:

> Alex Ferguson <abf_at_RZq49wq2wBw8vnC1j-7e99z3S6YVs-dFsLYEhoUE_XcaI62yFN0aeHnXSBlAqleV5Mr0iHw4.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > And presumably the root reason they're so categorised is
> > because in SimGlorantha terms, they're allegedly "clean
> > different things", even if they happen to be meexed up in a
> > beeg common magic bucket with a double 'elping of pate'.
>
> There are *some* practical differences. Like, for example: As I
> understand
> it, a charm works just by being worn, unlike a feat or spell, which
> has to
> be used (and a talent could go either way). So... if I were a
> fisherman, I'd
> probably prefer to give my kids a "don't drown" charm to wear, rather
> than
> teaching them a spell which they might not be able to use after they
> suck in
> a lungful of water.
>
> And there may be cultural issues, too. e.g. the Heortlings have a
> taboo
> against teaching magic to kids. This ban would certainly cover
> teaching kids
> a common-magic feat or spell, but it might not cover giving a kid a
> charm to
> wear, or even training him to use an innate talent. (You aren't
> teaching the
> kid magic in that case, you're just bringing out the magic he already
> has--and *everyone* has magic, whether they know it or not.)

There are also availability issues. The source of the CM determines the type. From a game world point of view, it doesn't matter if someone wants the CM to be spell, charm, feat, or talent; if the "don't drown" magic comes from spirit shells, they're charms even if the person prefers a feat.

Sure, a mini-maxing player can just state that all of their CM are whatever type of magic they want to concentrate but that's not how it really is in Glorantha.

Camo

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]             Received on Thu 08 Apr 2004 - 20:36:31 EEST