Humakt, Yanafal, and a practical joke

From: Carl Fink (carlf@Panix.Com)
Date: Tue 04 May 1993 - 11:09:20 EEST

100270.337@CompuServe.COM (Nick Brooke) writes:

>On the subject of Yanafal Tarnils, scimitars and other swords:
>Duke Yanafal Tarnils, the cult founder, was a renegade
>Carmanian Humakti. We can assume that at some point (during
>the Seven Mothers' Resurrection ritual??) he incurred the wrath
>of Swordbreaker, the Humakti spirit of retribution. This
>explains why the preferred weapon of the Lunar wargod is the
>scimitar: Humakt cannot shatter scimitars, only straight-bladed
>swords. The scimitar is the "bent Death" -- not the straight-
>sided, two-edged Death of the True Humakti Way.

>This tells us something about Humakti (who must *hate*
>scimitars: no Humakti could take one as a cult weapon without
>real trouble explaining it away; Humakti Truesword wouldn't
>work on a curved blade; etc.), and something about the Yanafal
>Tarnils cult's choice of weapons. They usually behave like
>good Humakti, so perhaps it's only when they repeat their
>Founder's "sin" that the Wrath of God hits them. I'd say a
>Yanafali swordsman was OK (no problems using straight-bladed
>swords) until he was first Resurrected: thereafter he would be
>plagued by the Swordbreaker and have no choice but to "switch

>blades" in time-honoured fashion. Allows any PC Yanafali still
>using old-fashioned weapons to hang onto them for a time, but
>the Lunar Way (as always) will triumph in the end.

  Um, no. Yanafal being illuminated, he was immune to all spirits of retribution, including Humakt in the aspect of Swordbreaker. Humakt can break *any* weapon - see Gods of Glorantha. YT's use scimitars entirely because they are shaped like the crescent moon.

  Oops, I told you cult secrets - now I have to kill you.

                                   Pharinor Arguentes
                                   Seventh Punishment Legion

  Another topic: how to annoy Yelmalio Light Sons. Wait until they cast Bladesharp 7 on their iron-tipped pike with the armoring enchantments...and cast Fireblade on it. No Yelmalion may fight with a Firebladed weapon - he'll have to throw it down. Also, it would be sacrilegious for a Solar type to Dispel this sort of thing, especially someone who daily has to live with the loss of the Fire power.

  The only real danger to this is the occasional Rune Lord who has undergone the Hill of Gold quest and regained the Fire power. He'll punch several holes in you if you play this trick. Don't use it in Bikhy.`
--
Carl Fink carlf@panix.com C.FINK4 (GEnie) "If you can't laugh at yourself, then you can bet that everyone else is doing so." - Ed Johnston