Re: RuneQuest Daily, Mon, 24 May 1993, part 1

From: Richard C. Staats (staats@MIT.EDU)
Date: Mon 24 May 1993 - 04:48:59 EEST

Greetings!

        I am a little foggy on the location of the Invisible God during godtime. The Mostali worshipped the Invisible God then too? I just wanted to put in a pre-amble before I tread on any toes. :-)

        I always thought of the Invisible God as kind of a Great Compromise creation, and in my campaigns, I treat sorcery as a type of magic that only came into Glorantha as a result of the Great Compromise. This flows along nicely with some of the more recent articles on the use of Runic magic.

        I treat the Invisible God as the god of Time. The Invisible God was created when each of the Runic primaries gave a bit of their power to create Time. Sorcerers have access to ALL the runes, because the Invisible God was created from small bits of each Rune. From a game balance standpoint, the sorcerer is less powerful in a particular Runic application than say a Runepriest of that Runic aspect. For example, a sorcerer would not be able to raise a character from the dead, but the sorcerer could create an artificial limb or the like. (On the other hand, the ability to freely draw on several Runic aspects can be a useful thing in and of itself. When a party is suddenly confronted by a lightwall, the last thing they would normally expect to follow is a shade.) I see the sorcerer's place as kind of a "balancing force"; taken as a whole, mages tend to favor the balance of the Runic influences that existed at the Dawning. Afterall, it was this balance of forces that was able to fend Chaos off.

        I will send a more detailed description if folks are interested.

        In service,

        Rich