RuneQuest Daily: Sorcery, God Learners, and Lunars

Sorcery, God Learners, and Lunars

From: Curtis Shenton (curtiss@netcom.com)
Date: Wed 16 Jun 1993 - 05:36:08 EEST

> From: marks@slough.mit.edu (Mark S. c/o Tom Yates)
> Subject: Misc. Comments
>
> Finula and Paul's Ogre Writeup
>
> I found your description of ogres disgusting both morally
> and aesthetically. It has the common fannish flaw of describing
> a race, or cult, or secret society so superior that they should

> have long ago taken over the known universe. If it was actually
> published, however, I'd expect that it would sell well. Vampire
> The Masquerade has proved that there are lots of people who get
> there kicks taking on the role of "supermen" who prey on
> humanity.

Ogres are already pretty superhuman so I don't think this went too "over the top." But I think it came out sounding much too scientific. The Ogres come out sounding like the generic supermen, the Saurons, from Jerry Pournelle's universe. The brain chemeistry bit was totally un apealing and as for the adaptation thing I'd like something more Gloranthan in feel. Maybe some Ogres worship Daka Fel, summon up their real human ancestors and "eat" them. Thus gaining their basic physical characteristics.

> -Mark Sabalauskas
>
> ---------------------
> From: mace@lum.asd.sgi.com (Rob Mace)
> Subject: various replys
>

> ------------
> Curtis Shenton writes:
> > A book on Sorcery would be very nice. But I'm not sure how much can be
> > done in the basic RQIV rules. All I know is that I don't want to see it
> > biased towards anyone sorcery culture. I know many cultures will require
> > some modifications to the rules to make them work right. BUt you
> > shouldn't ahve to first remove the Malkioni rules and then add the
> > Eastern sorcery rules, you should just be able to add the eastern part
> > directly if you see what I mean.
>
> I think it would be good if the rules were generic to Gloranthan sorcerers
> and then an example group like the Malkioni was given and you could see how
> the rule were expanded/modified for them. This would be much like the
> cult stuff in RQ2.

That's what I'd basicaly like to see too. A basic generic(to Glorantha at least) set of rules, ideas and suggestions for how it can be modified to fit different groups. And then one or two sample sorcery using cultures. I'd suggest the Malkioni and the Mostali.

> Rob Mace

>___________

> ---------------------
> From: JARDINE@RMCS.CRANFIELD.AC.UK
> Subject: God Learners, Mythology and Us!
>

> Who cares whether all the God Learner's disciples were wiped out?
> Because, we all know that some of them are alive now and using this net!
>
> Seriously do you realize that all of us interacting on this net is
> effectively a HeroQuest which is affecting the mythology of Glorantha
> by our collective decisions about the nature of things
> (especially with regards to sorcery and Malkioni society).
>
> MORAL:- If you desire a particular outcome it is imperative that
> you fight for it here on the Hero Plane, or you will lose it forever
> when AH or GS prints what we have decided.
>
> Of course you might be lucky and mythology might resent these God Learners
> interferring and reject them all.
>
> Selwi Jerandi

The True History of the God Learners:

        Knowing that the were going to be wipped out the God Learners fled en masse to a higher plane. Beyond even the level of reality where the abstract runes exist above the gods. Here on this level they reincarneted themselves amongst the native peoples but in doing so lost much of their knowledge. Most of them only have a most debased understanding of the god learner secrets and can't actually manilpulate Glorantha, some however still have the RuneSight and know a good world when they see it. These few are the true descendents of the god learners. Of course a few native religions have detected the intrusion of these alien beings into their world and try and warn the others. But this time the god learners have adapted a more harmless image and thus are overlooked by the majority as strange but harmless. Who knows what lies in the future? :-)

> ---------------------
> From: MOBTOTRM@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
> Subject: Sorcery (yawn!)
>
> Sorcery (yawn!)
>

> RQ4 is supposed to be coming out mid-next year and there are lots of
> other issues and problems in it that also need ironing out (the fact
> that many playtesters have found the combat rules overly mechanistic
> for one). Is there time to get the rest of RQ4 right, *and* resolve
> the problems with sorcery satisfactorily as well? 12 months (probably
> less) is not a long time to accomplish all this, so I doubt it...
>
> This isn't the first time I have made the suggestion, but I think that
> the sorcery rules should be completely dropped from the RQ4 book.
> Sorcery rules cannot be successfully presented without their social
> context, as the RQ3 experience shows, and to do the social context
> justice, more space than the RQ4 book could permit would be needed.
> In fact, what is needed is a seperate "Sorcery Book", where the topic

> can be covered comprehensively and at leisure. The argument of whether
> to cover the Malkioni to the exclusion of the Kralori wouldn't apply,
> as we could cover 'em all in this book.

I hate this idea! Heck while we're at it why not drop divine and spirit magic too since we can't really do them justice in the space provided? I think a later supplement is a great idea. In fact I'd like to see a Sorceror's Pack(first since we know the least about them), and then a Shaman's Pack and a Priest's Pack. But I think RQIV has to have core rules. What's a GM who has sorcery in their game supposed to do when RQIV comes out? Pretend it isn't there? Try to tweak RQIII sorcery onto RQIV(I shudder to think of what this owuld be like) Now saying, "This is just a simplified, generic look at sorcery which will be expanded in the Sorcery supplement." is fine by me. But not having the rules is a real cop out.

> Joerg B. writes:
> >>...But we got to have some sorcery in the basic RQ4 rules, else
> >>AH would copy TSR politics. We all like that compan, do we?
>
> I don't get what you're on about here?

"Buy RQIV! You'll only need one book to play! Well maybe 2 but the second one won't be out for awhile. But buy the first part now anyway!"

> _________________________
>
> ---------------------
>
> From: MOBTOTRM@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au
> Subject: Player Characters I Have Known
> _________________________
>
> The campaign was a long struggle for the Raynors to regain their
> position as hereditary governors of Joranit, and the city's
> rivalry with neighbouring Elz Ast (culminating in the impending
> visit of the Crimson Bat on its way to the Redland: the PCs were
> the Joranit delegation who had to convince the Bat cult to stop-over
> in Elz Ast instead of their city; of course, there was an Elz Ast
> delegation trying to do the reverse!)
>

> MOB

Ooooh, I love it! Politics can be so much fun for PCs. ;)

--
Curtis Shenton curtiss@netcom.com internet & 4@3091 WWIVnet "At the GM's option, strategic nuclear weapons may be considered 'magical'"-From the CyberCthulhu rules in Interface