stuff

From: Sandy Petersen (sandyp@idcube.idsoftware.com)
Date: Sat 09 Apr 1994 - 08:08:53 EEST

MOB asks:
>What do other people think about making direct comparisons between

>terrestrial and lozengial locations?

        I think it is a useful and highly adaptive gamemastering technique. It assists the players in envisioning the world around them and the cultures they are encountering.

         Looky here, even on Earth there are few truly unique sites. Telling someone in Glorantha that the Tunneled Hills look like the western Badlands is pretty helpful for an American. Or that the elf woods they're traveling through looks like the Northwest rain forest. I always tell my players that Prax looks a lot like Nevada. IMO the Great Basin is a fine representation of the Praxian lands -- it's poorly drained (when it rains, little bogs pop up all over), mostly dry, and the plant life alternates between brown and bleached gray. There's lots of little rock formations and low mountains, and the whole thing is just awful. For that matter, I compare the Dead Place to the Utah salt flats. Not only are both devoid of life, but both are supposedly the remains of a dead lake (this info on the Dead Place I get from looking at a topographic map of Prax). Of course, the Dead Place also has dire magic effects.

        Some sites are unique to Glorantha, and don't really have parallels on Earth. Comparing the Tar Pit on the Shadow Plateau to La Brea doesn't seem like an exact parallel to me. And sites that are unique on Earth shouldn't be stolen except in extreme cases. I might tell a player that the Hellcrack looks a bit like the Grand Canyon, frex.

Alex Ferguson sez:
>Frinst, do we believe Sandy's suggestion that storm worshippers are
>collectively dumb-ass idiotically grinning West Coast happy-go-lucky
>optimists, while solar types are angst-ridden uptight East Coast
>Woody Allen clones, with a consequently pessimistic outlook? I
>think I paraphrase fairly.
This summary of my efforts makes me grin. A lot. Thanks, Alex.

>Calling Yelm `benign', because he shines one everyone, worshipper or
>not is a bit dubious, too: one might as well say Orlanth was
>`benign' for not suffocating everyone.

You missed my point. The natural effects of a deity reflect his nature to some degree. The sun's effects rarely are harmful to folks and crops, whereas bad storms are well-known everywhere. Orlanth is a "dangerous" god, while Yelm is a "safe" god, to coin an oversimplification.

Alex comments that Storm Khans don't get 1d10 DI. Don't they? (quick looking up of GoG's text). Holy Smokes! Error Alert! That's a mistake. I play that Storm Khans get 1D10 DI, and so does everyone I know.

Alex also continues needling me about becoming a Dayzatar monk. Everyone doesn't become one because you gotta have been a priest in long standing of some other Solar cult. Once you've been a Yelm priest for twenty years, the appeal of locking yourself in a tower for your retirement may lose some of its panache.

>If you take the published history of Sun County seriously, [the
>Praxian Yelmalions] were, for a time, completely isolated.

        Sorry. Haven't even read Sun County. Don't even own a copy.

>Has anyone run across references to actual people (not gods) riding
>chariots?
Sounds like a Solar thing to me. I suspect that actual combat in chariots has vanished in most parts of Glorantha, but might have been common in the First Age, say. (Except where supported by magic or mytholigical importance.) Travel and racing in chariots may still be popular in places. I note that the old Nomad Gods game had a spare counter depicting charioteers.