Re: RuneQuest Daily, Sat, 09 Apr 1994, part 1

From: devinc@aol.com
Date: Tue 12 Apr 1994 - 09:57:59 EEST

Devin Cutler here:

MOB writes:

"What do other people think about making direct comparisons between terrestrial and lozengial locations?"

On the one hand, I see nothing wrong with presenting information as in Dorastor Land of Doom which helps people who are lucky enough to know of the Earthly places described to visualize Glorantha. The space taken up is small and, for those who don't know what the author is talking about, no harm is done.

On the other hand, I am extremely worried that Glorantha is becoming anthropologized. By this I mean that given regions in Glorantha become essentially transplanted Terran equivalents, to the detriment of the fantasy feel of the game.

This has two undesired effects.

  1. It makes playing in Glorantha a lot like playing in Alternate Earth, only with weird names
  2. It makes those of us without degrees in anthropology very reticent to try and publish anything for RQ.

Example, Pamaltela is quite obviously an amalgem of African and Australian cultures. While using Terran equivalencies is fine for a starting point, I would hate to see something submitted for inclusion in Pamaltela and rejected simply because such things might not have occured in Terran Africa or Australia. I am not saying that this has already happened, but I think it is something to guard against.

I am also NOT saying that I thinkg Glorantha should be a single homogeneous entity. I appreciate the various cultures and such. I just want us to avoid going overboard.