Cults in Prax

From: Joerg Baumgartner (joe@sartar.toppoint.de)
Date: Tue 12 Apr 1994 - 23:01:49 EEST

Martin Crim replies to me in X-RQ-ID: 3601
> Well, the reference you cite speaks of an army, not missionaries. I'd
> just have to think that the missionaries had little success, given the
> statement that Praxians didn't have cult structures until after contact with
> the PHP.

It also speaks of the existence of the cult as such in Prax. If the army stayed there, so would have the cult, of Humakt as well as of the Lightbringers (who were invaders as well, and probably at the same time). It is stated that some outsiders among the Praxians worship Lightbringers or other foreign deities. If their worship spread into Prax, this time of active proselytizing seems most appropriate.

> As for the Paps, yes, these oasis people are useful to the
> Praxians, but that doesn't mean there's any osmosis of religious
> ideas/practices.

I don't see the Paps populace as the same nation as the Oasis people. To me they always had been close relatives of the beast riders, especially since the Waha Khans regularly marry Eiritha priestesses, both of the own herd, and of the Paps. Am I mistaken?

>>     The Uz from Dagori Inkarth knew cultic worship at least from the Dawn
>> on. Another possible 1st Age influx of these practises.

> Hum. You gonna try to be like a troll?

Good point. Still, the trolls had the edge in the best grazing grounds (the Bison Plains around Adari, and the Better Place), and to overcome their annoying magics, the Praxians are likely to have used whatever means suited them, such as using cultic magic. Especially the adaptive Sable people.

> Seriously, I don't think the Praxians had any reason to think their
> religious structures needed changing until the PHP kicked their butts. And
> if it ain't broke, don't cast Repair.

Is the example above not a good reason?

--
-- Joerg Baumgartner joe@sartar.toppoint.de