Re: RuneQuest Daily, Mon, 23 May 1994, part 1

From: DevinC@aol.com
Date: Mon 23 May 1994 - 15:17:22 EEST

Devin Cutler here:

Sandy asks Nick:

"What kind of campaign are you currently running, Nick? I
don't mean this as a challenge. I'm curious if you prefer to put the players into a small local area (like Pavis or the Grazelands, say) and have them caught up in the politics and activities of that tiny microcosm. "

I would also be curious as to what kinds of compaigns the "scholars" are running. My hunch is that they do tend to be microcosmic, very unheroic (i.e. concerned with day-to-day-living), and tend to be short-lived (i.e. they run a bunch of short term regional campaigns as opposed to a long-lived and/or heroic/world-spanning campaign). Am I right or wrong?

BTW, the long-term (8.5 years) RQ campaign that I am runnign is decidedly heroic and world-spanning. No, I don't go in for elves and trolls travelling together as was mentioned in a recent post. All of my PC's are humans, and all are either Yelmalios (probably Elmals if I went with the switch), Odaylans, or Orlanth worshippers (oops, sorry we have a Donandarian and a Chalanna Arooy as well). Seems compatible to me.

In any case, this group (and retired/dead ex-members) have travelled to Old Trade, have snuck a peek at the Blue Book of Zzabur, have rediscovered Old Brithos, have fought on the Cradle, have taken part in the liberation of Boldhome and the imprisonment of the Red Emperor, founded a small kingdom in Ralios, rescued another kingdom near Pavis, found and returned Balastor's Axe, and discovered the secret of Hrelar Amali.

The only places they haven't really been are Kralorela and Pamaltela.

I don't really prefer one type of campaign (Heroic vs non-Heroic) over another, can am adept at running either. However, I noticed, when I first started playing and then running RQ1 and RQ2 that most RQ campaigns tended to be non-heroic. This kind of makes sense for a system where combat is so deadly and magic so personal. Never one to run from a challenge, however, I wanted to see if RQ can be run in a heroic vein. I can say that it can, from personal experience.

I woudl be interested in hearing if anyone else runs a heroic campaign with RQ in general or Glorantha in specific.

Martin Crim writes:

"What kind of campaign are you currently running, Nick? I
don't mean this as a challenge. I'm curious if you prefer to put the players into a small local area (like Pavis or the Grazelands, say) and have them caught up in the politics and activities of that tiny microcosm. "

And then gives us a nice plunder item (thanks Martin!).

I too would like to see a little more "useful" gaming info along the lines of what David Dunham and Martin have just presented. No, I don't mean the entire Daily should be given over to such, but I really enjoy such things.

Most of us are really strapped for the kind of time it takes to put together a good campaign, and with the supplements for RQ coming out at a dribble, using the Daily as an interchange for gaming material would be a nice adjunct to TOTRM and Codex (and RQ Adventures, if that's still up and running).

For my part, I will be gathering stuff that I've accumulated for my campaign and post it here.

David Dunham writes"We always spent a lot of time training. You can bring some element of play
into this unplayed time by using the catchup tables in RQ Cities (those are my tables, even if Midkemia forgot to give me credit)."

Really? I like this supplement a lot, and use it for PC's who retire out of the campaign for a while (due to real life considerations)

"I see nothing wrong with abstracting large amounts of time and just playing
out the interesting bits."

Ditto. One can only roleplay a trip to the city market and weekly worship ceremonies so often before tedium reigns.

Also, Gary from Nippon gives us a plea to avoid over equating Glorantha with Earth (here! here!) and then gives a nice example of how a society in Glorantha can be rationalized and worked out using the Gloranthan information at hand without a lot of shoving of earth analogues into a Glroanthan setting. I encourage more of this type of thought.

Cullen titles a Subject line of a posting "Subject: Initiation round 5"

You left out a zero. Don't you mean round 50 -)

Regards,

Devin Cutler
devinc@aol.com