Re: Re: Re: Griffon Island

From: Wayne Shaw (shadow@qedbbs.com)
Date: Mon 22 Nov 1993 - 12:39:09 EET

David Cake <davidc@cs.uwa.oz.au> writes:

> Well, certainly not basing huge chunks of plot around them. I don't
> have a problem with the slarges, they are suposed to be unusual, but the
> orcs are a major force - I can't jst stick Griffon Island into my orc-less
> campaign.

I don't think this is altogether reasonable. Any sort of adventure that
is not completely flavorless is going to have elements that need swapping
in and out, and at least a few of them are bound to be major. I suspect
trolls could be substituted for the orcs on GO and fullfill many of the
smae functions (though you'd have to disconnect the chaos folks from
them, which gets sort of problematical). Heck, on a somewhat Glorantha
like world, you could use a tribe of unusually civilized broos, and
they'd fit the mold fine.
Basically, I think what I'm saying is that a setting as generic as you
seem to be wanting would probably not be worth bothering with; it would
be so colorless as to have few interesting features. Even an all human
scenario can too easily make assumptions that are going to requires
serious reworking. That's one reason I very rarely use predesigned
settings/scenarios; but at least with something like GO, there's bound to
be SOMETHING I can scarf in anything but the most baroque world settings.

shadow@qedbbs.com (Wayne Shaw) or qed!shadow
The QED BBS -- (310)420-9327

0,,